Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Bridge Guard - Part Two - Exactly a week

Well, it's around about time for a part two I think.

I am not ashamed to say that it was a rocky beginning. I felt a bit overwhelmed, lost and lonely a few times. Getting used to this new space and living by myself has been more testing than I thought, but, one week in and I'm looking forward to this now rather than feeling daunted by the three months ahead.

I'd say this is due to people. Yes! I need people! Some of you reading may think, what are you talking about? You've gone out there to make work, what's wrong with you woman!? But 'ahhh', I'll say, shaking my head, I need to feel safe and like I have somewhere to bounce ideas from, I need feedback.  I'll say more about this later but it got me thinking (you do a lot more of this too living on your own!) I've always found with all or most of my projects part of the work is in the conversations it takes to actually make it. A lot of the time it involves a wide range of people to make it happen, either I need something that they have, maybe materials or skills? They could be in a position to help with granting legal stuff? Like permits or planning permission? Or I need them for funding or just support or advice. What I find most interesting is that it creates a unique individual project 'gang'.

I've had an avalanche of ideas this last few days, keeping me awake most nights. I have two main strands that are currently leading the way.

EARLY THOUGHTS...

Communication:

  • basically, making friends
  • developing relationships
  • bring everyone together for a gathering of some sort
  • introductions - story swapping
  • future collaborations
  • learn
  • teach
  • explore
  • living in someone else's country should inspire me and I hope to inspire the people I meet too, even if it's just to follow the Mighty Reds (they'll have to be patient but we'll come good!)
  • make new connections between people both sides of the bridge
  • A party
  • A Bridge Guard Party
  • A fire
  • exhibition opening night 22nd Dec???
  • costumes?
  • Bridge Guard costumes?
  • What would you wear if you could design your own?
  • A project I could use when I go into the schools
  • Involve everyone
  • Bridge Guard Fancy Dress Party
Building:
  • Construction
  • follows on from previous work
  • brings the bridge inside with the people I invite 
  • I have a space to build in
  • I like bridges
  • structure
  • old wood in Esztergom, must find out where I can get some or if I can have that??
  • I like the idea of building inside the apartment - something echoing the bridge
  • Something big if possible! My boss Karol will be nervous reading this now, haha
  • used stuff again - old wood - a past
  • Use an existing arch in the flat as a starting point
  • use light to cast shadows

Early 4am scribbles






first quick sketch of the bridge






I met some great people this week including Terri and Andrea, both teachers, who took me for my a few drinks and a walk up to the cathedral in Esztergom. Great views back at the bridge from there...




I had a visit from Adrianna, another teacher who works with Guri (who I've decided is the most popular man in Sturovo!) It's like walking round with Johnny Depp! Adrianna is picking me up at 6.30am (eek) on Tuesday to go to Bratislava, very happy about this, also have a good tip from Karol to check out Space Gallery while I'm there. I've got a full day Wednesday with Adrianna too, school in the morning to see an English history play?? Then I have to be a the Culture Centre with the vice Mayor at 1.30pm (not quite sure what that was for - think it's a international gathering - it was explained but there was champagne and I was tired! In the afternoon I'm back in the school then afterwards I THINK I'm joining a local zumba class!!!

On Saturday I was greeted on the bridge with flowers from the girls from Kaleidoszkop http://www.kaleidoszkophaz.hu/ they run this brilliant art centre in Esztergom that I instantly loved...


Kaleidoszkop 

Kaleidoszkop

Kaleidoszkop

Kaleidoszkop

Kaleidoszkop


I was then taken for lunch at a local restaurant and on the back of a bill I asked them to write down what I'd just had...it was a very humorous conversation.


and this was the 'meat soup' with the offending testicle! I did not eat it, they didn't either! It's the thing in the bottom left corner...the soup was nice though!




I tried palinka for the first time too, a traditional fruit brandy, loved it!


palinka with Katalin, the owner of Kaleidoszkop


As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day I then went to meet Guri and Sophie (newly adopted Ma 'n Pa of Sturovo) for a local concert at the Culture Centre in Sturovo. Afterwards, whilst enjoying the champagne and buffet I met the Mayor, I was extremely disappointed to learn that he's a Manchester United fan, ughhhhh, we had a bet anyway, two pints on this time next year Liverpool being above them in the league...seemed possible at the time, I have faith! 

I'll finish with another list of other things that I've seen/heard/done. It's quicker and less work for you.

  • I had a massage
  • I confused a man at the swimming pool with my rolled up paper under my arm, he kept touching it saying, 'no'. I only wanted to know what times the pool was open, I think he thought I wanted to come in and use my paper (I'd bought to draw on) as a towel
  • I saw a Nan on a bike outside Lidl eating a magnum (or magnum equivalent)
  • I made a wardrobe from two fold out chairs, Sellotape and some bamboo
  • I rode on the wrong side of the road on my bike
  • I discovered that 10% lager sold in Lidl in giant bottles is a normal occurrence
  • I know a man who says hello meaning 'hello' and says hello meaning 'goodbye' and it makes me laugh every single time. 
  • I haven't met any Slovakians
  • Sturovo is 80% Hungarian
  • Music is played everyday at 4.30 from St. Thomas Chapel, it's beautiful, I asked Guri what it was and he translated the words. And on that note, part two is done. Thank you for reading.



You're beautiful, you're beautiful Hungary,
More beautiful than the world at large
If the music resounds the word, I can see bright, beautiful cheek.
horses where we're going
calls for grass, trees, leaves and flowers.
Cries the violin, waiting for a beautiful country.














6 comments:

  1. Good to read you're settling, that the ideas are flowing and momentum is gathering. Not sure about balls in soup but everything else seems very positive and very interesting. Nice blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats much better, great...and you are learning how to be a sociable hermit perhaps! In Arabia I was served a dish that consisted of just sheep balls so had no choice but to eat them! (like kidneys) lol.

    Nite
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving reading this jayne,it all sounds so interesting.I knew you"d really get into it and make it a massive adventure.x
    p.s.dont get the "comment as" at the bottom of the comment box so ive just gone as anonymous!

    janiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jayne, Great to hear your news. Your photo of the pheasant reminded me of recently visiting Kracow. There were 9 large pheasants in the dining room hanging from the ceiling....difficult to eat with them looking so ready to land on the table. Keep up the news. Deb of the nightly chats in Ipswich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, blast from the past! Can imagine the pheasants being slightly off putting yes, although I'd be more worried they were simply going to fall down into my soup rather than come to life! Where did you hear about the blog? Suffolk grapevine?

      Delete
  5. Fab blogging - loving the lists - loving the sketches - feel obliged to comment on the testicle soup as others have FYI i'm not doing that either..... enjoy the next couple of days. I am up to speed x

    ReplyDelete